5 half-whole diminished jazz guitar patterns | Free lesson & eBook
- By jazz-guitar-licks
- On 22/02/2016
- Comments (0)
In this free jazz guitar lesson below you will find 5 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns with tabs and analysis using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished seventh arpeggios. These licks are taken from the latest printable eBook PDF "25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns".
The Half-whole diminished scale (also known as "dominant diminished scale") is a symmetric scale, it contains eight notes and it's constructed using a repeat pattern of half and whole steps. This scale is usually played over dominant chords like G7, G7b5, G13, G7#9, G7b9, G7b5b9, G7b5#9). This should not be confused with the fully diminished scale also named "whole-half diminished scale" which is constructed using a repeat pattern of whole and half steps and used to play over diminished seventh chords.
As you can see in the example below, the G half-whole diminished scale is made up of eight notes and creates extentions b9, #9, #11 and 13.
Diminished seventh arpeggios are made up of four notes : a root, a minor third (b3), a diminished fifth (b5) and a diminished seventh (bb7). They are basically played over diminished seventh chords but they can be played over dominant (b9) chords a semitone lower.
Here is a comparison between the G7b9 chord and the Ab diminished 7th arpeggio :
- G7b9 chord is made up of : G-B-D-F-Ab
- Ab diminished 7th arpeggio is made up of : Ab-B-D-F
The notes of a diminished arpeggio are identical to the notes of a dominant b9 chord a semitone lower.
A diminished 7th arpeggio is built of minor thirds intervals, it is symmetrical. A minor third interval is made up of 3 semitones (3 frets on a guitar), so you can move any diminished 7th arpeggios positions up or down three frets and you will still find the same notes.
It means that you can play 4 diminished 7th arpeggios over a G7b9 chord :
- Ab diminished 7th arpeggio.
- B diminished 7th arpeggio.
- D diminished 7th arpeggio.
- F diminished 7th arpeggio.
25 Dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns - $ 7.90 - Secure payment (paypal - gumroad)
Half-whole diminished jazz guitar pattern # 1
Half-whole diminished jazz guitar pattern # 2
Half-whole diminished jazz guitar pattern # 3
Half-whole diminished jazz guitar pattern # 4
Half-whole diminished jazz guitar pattern # 5
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 10 Wes Montgomery dominant 7th jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs taken from west coast blues.
25 soul jazz guitar licks with tabs PDF to master hard bop playing in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks by using pentatonic scales and blues scale.
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 5 minor 7th jazz guitar patterns with tabs and analysis to increase your vocabulary, technique, and jazz knowledge.
Here are some fretboard guitar patterns, scales charts and free jazz guitar licks about the dominant bebop scale, one of the most played scale in jazz.
Paste the code on your website to make a link exchange with our website. Contact us and we will do the same for you.
- 8 ways to play the minor pentatonic scale over a dominant chord - Inside and outside playing
- Kenny Burrell - In a mellow tone - Jazz guitar transcription
- List of jazz standards and keys
- Triad arpeggios - Guitar lesson for beguinners
- Superimposed diatonic arpeggios - Jazz guitar lesson
- How to play jazz on acoustic guitar - Guest post
- Jazz guitar chord voicings - II-V-I progression - 5 Exercises
- New eBook available | 50 exercises for jazz guitar | II-V-I voicings
- Minor pentatonic scales and II-Valt-I sequence - 5 jazz guitar licks
- New video - Jazz guitar comping rhythm lesson & chord study.
- Sookie sookie - Grant Green - Transcription
- III VI II V sequence - 5 Jazz guitar licks - Jazz lesson
- Jazz up basic guitar chords - Jazz guitar lesson for beginners
- Tritone chord substitution - Jazz guitar lesson
- Stella by Starlight - Jazz guitar chord melody lesson