- Home /
- Jazz guitar lessons / Blog /
- How to play over a VI-II-V-I chord progression in the style of Grant Green
How to play over a VI-II-V-I chord progression in the style of Grant Green
- By Stef Ramin
- On 26/11/2015
- Comments (0)
Here is a jazz guitar lesson to learn how to play over a VI7 - II - V7 - I7 chord progression in the style of Grant Green. The following jazz guitar tab is a solo transcription of Grant Green in "N° 1 Green street". Grant Green used to play a diminished arpeggio on the first bar followed by notes from the harmonic minor scale and altered lines for the rest of his improvisation.
Grant Green lick
The original chord progression of the track "N°1 Green street" is :
Bb7 | Eb7 | Bb7 | % |
Eb7 | % | Bb7 | G7 |
Cm7 | F7 | Bb7 - G7 | Cm7 - F7 |
In this lesson, for simplicity, the backing track chord progression is :
G7 | Cm7 | F7 | Bb7 |
Measure 1 (G7) : Ab diminished arpeggio (Ab-B-D-F) and notes from the C harmonic minor scale.
Measure 2 (Cm7) : Notes from the C harmonic minor scale (C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B)
Measure 3 (F7) : Notes from the D altered scale (D-D#-E#-F#-G#-A#-C)
Measure 4 (Bb7) : ending on the third (D) and on the root (Bb)
More Grant Green licks by clicking here
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
25 soul jazz guitar licks with tabs PDF to master hard bop playing in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks by using pentatonic scales and blues scale.
Here is the Grant green's youtube playlist about some jazz guitar lines and jazz guitar solo transcriptions. Explanations with jazz guitar licks with tabs
This youtube video contains 21 jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs from the "jazz guitar licks" channel.
This jazz guitar lesson is about a video that contains 10 Kenny Burrell jazz guitar licks for beginners transcribed from chitlins con carne.
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 10 Wes Montgomery dominant 7th jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs taken from west coast blues.
- Diatonic chord substitution - Jazz theory and harmony lesson
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression
- NEW PDF eBook available | 11 blues-jazz progressions for guitar | Chords and comping studies
- How to play minor and major 6 chords on the guitar | 24 Diagrams and voicings
- So what chord - Jazz rhythm guitar lesson - Modal comping
- Jazz guitar chord changes & comping study - There will never be another you
- Chords in fourths - Quartal harmony - So what chord
- There will never be another you - Jazz guitar improvisation
- What's a II-V-I chord progression
- How to harmonize the major scale in thirds
- What are guide tones and how to use them
- How to connect dominant 7th arpeggios in blues
- How to play drop 2 chords on the guitar - Lesson with diagrams & voicing charts
- Misty (Erroll Garner) analysis - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson