- Home /
- Jazz guitar lessons / Blog /
- How to use the locrian mode and a diminished 7th arpeggio over a minor II-V-I progression
How to use the locrian mode and a diminished 7th arpeggio over a minor II-V-I progression
- By Stef Ramin
- On 24/01/2016
- Comments (0)
The minor II-V-I chord progression is widely used in jazz music, it's a very important sequence to know for any jazz guitar player 'cause it's present in many jazz standards. How to play over this chord progression ? Which scales to use ? Which notes to play ? There is a lot of ways. In the following lick we will use the Locrian mode (seventh mode of the major scale) to play over the Dm7b5 chord and a B diminished 7th arpeggio over the G7b9 chord. Please notice that the minor II-V-I chord progression is Dm7b5 | G7b9 | Cm (Maj7) | % |
Mode and arpeggio used in the lick
The Locrian mode has a particular sound because of its b2, its b3, b5, b6 and b7. It is the seventh mode of the major scale, the other modes are ionian, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, and aeolian.
This mode is commonly played over m7b5 chords.
You will find some guitar fretboard patternsin this lesson.
The diminished 7th arpeggio is made up of four notes :
- Minor third (b3)
- Diminished fifth (b5)
- Diminished seventh (bb7)
It is usually played over diminished 7th chords but also over dominant 7th flat ninth chords (7b9) starting on the major third (3), the fifth (5), the minor seventh (b7) or the flat ninth (b9). This arpeggio is symmetrical, you can move any diminished 7th position up or down three frets, this way you will still find the same notes.
Click here to see some diminished 7th guitar diagrams.
Minor II-V-I jazz guitar line
- Bar one : D descending locrian mode (D-Eb-F-G-Ab-Bb-C) with a passing tone (A).
- Bar two : B diminished arpeggio (B-D-F-Ab) and chromatic line (F-F#-G). In this line the B diminished 7th arpeggio starts on the third of G7b9.
- Bar three : Fifth and b3 of Cm.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
This jazz guitar eBook PDF contains 10 dominant jazz guitar licks with tabs, analysis and backing tracks using arpeggios, mixolydian, pentatonics & dorian scales.
10 major jazz guitar licks eBook pdf with tabs, analysis & video links.
This jazz eBook contains 5 II-V-I jazz guitar licks & comping lessons for beginners. Tabs,analysis, videos and backing track links included.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 10 Wes Montgomery dominant 7th jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs taken from west coast blues.
Paste the code on your website to make a link exchange with our website. Contact us and we will do the same for you.
This ebook pdf contains 25 minor jazz swing guitar licks with tabs in the style of Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Grant Green .
25 soul jazz guitar licks with tabs PDF to master hard bop playing in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks by using pentatonic scales and blues scale.
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 5 minor 7th jazz guitar patterns with tabs and analysis to increase your vocabulary, technique, and jazz knowledge.
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression
- NEW PDF eBook available | 11 blues-jazz progressions for guitar | Chords and comping studies
- How to play minor and major 6 chords on the guitar | 24 Diagrams and voicings
- So what chord - Jazz rhythm guitar lesson - Modal comping
- Jazz guitar chord changes & comping study - There will never be another you
- Chords in fourths - Quartal harmony - So what chord
- There will never be another you - Jazz guitar improvisation
- What's a II-V-I chord progression
- How to harmonize the major scale in thirds
- What are guide tones and how to use them
- How to connect dominant 7th arpeggios in blues
- How to play drop 2 chords on the guitar - Lesson with diagrams & voicing charts
- Misty (Erroll Garner) analysis - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson
- 48 triad chords | Guitar diagrams | Root positions & inversions