- Home /
- Jazz guitar lessons / Blog /
- Jazz guitar lessons /
- Misty (Erroll Garner) analysis - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson
Misty (Erroll Garner) analysis - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson
Misty is a jazz standard written by Erroll Garner following a 32-bar progression in the key of Eb including some common chord sequences as II-V-I, I-VI-II-V. A very popular ballad that has crossed over genres of music for the past 50 years (1959). This post in analysis of this song reffering to the realbook including a youtube video lesson about a chord melody arrangement for jazz guitar.
Quick analysis of Misty (real book)
There are two sections. Here is the chord progression and a quick analysis reffering to the real book :
Ebmaj7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | Ab-7 Db7 |
Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 || 1st ending G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 :|| 2nd ending Eb6 | % |
- Pick up measure: Bb13 = V of home key (Eb major).
- Bar 1: Ebmaj7 (Tonic Eb).
- Bars 2 & 3 : Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | This is a II-V-I in the key of AbMaj7.
- Bar 4 : Ab-7 Db7 . This is a II-V in the key of Gb but the resolution doesn't go to Gb as it theoretically should.
- Bars 5 & 6 : Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 is a I VI II V sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 7 & 8 (first ending) : G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 . This is a III-VI7-II-V7 sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 9 to 14 : Same as bars 1 to 6.
- Bar 15 & 16 (second ending) : Eb6.Home key
Section B (Ab Major New Tonality, Eb modulating to Ab)
Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % |
A-7 | D7 F7 | G-7b5 C7b9 | F-7 Bb7
- Bars 17,18,19 & 20 : Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % | II V I sequence in the key of Ab.
- Bars 21 & 22 : A-7 | D7 F7 | ....Am7 is the bii of Ab. You can consider it as a II-V sequence in the key of G that goes to the V7 of Ab.
- Bar 23 : G-7b5 C7b9 ...minor II-V in the key of Fmin.
- Bar 24 : F-7 Bb7... major II-V of original tonic key (Eb).
Bars 25 to 32 : same as the second part of the A section.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
jazz Misty Misty Erroll Garner chord melody lesson chord melody arrangement misty guitar chord melody misty guitar lesson misty guitar arrangement chord melody jazz arrangement standard jazz standard misty analysis jazz analysis
11 blues progressions for jazz guitar. Printable PDF eBook with tabs, analysis and audio files. Comping and chord studies.
This jazz guitar comping lesson provides you different ideas using drop 2, inverted and extended chords to apply to "there will never be another you"
Guitar improvisation on the jazz standard "There will be another you".
This youtube video contains 21 jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs from the "jazz guitar licks" channel.
How to master jazz guitar scales on the guitar. This lesson explain how to practice the basic jazz scales with triads, arpeggios, intervals, patterns.
- III VI II V sequence - 5 Jazz guitar licks - Jazz lesson
- Jazz up basic guitar chords - Beginner jazz guitar lesson
- Tritone chord substitution - Jazz guitar lesson
- Stella by Starlight - Jazz guitar chord melody lesson
- What's a half-diminished chord (m7b5) ?
- List of intervals - Music theory
- Extended major 7th chords | Guitar diagrams & voicings | Cmaj9, Cmaj#11, Cmaj13
- Diatonic chord substitution - Jazz theory and harmony lesson
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression
- NEW PDF eBook available | 11 blues-jazz progressions for guitar | Chords and comping studies
- How to play minor and major 6 chords on the guitar | 24 Diagrams and voicings
- So what chord - Jazz rhythm guitar lesson - Modal comping
- Jazz guitar chord changes & comping study - There will never be another you
- Chords in fourths - Quartal harmony - So what chord