Misty (Erroll Garner) analysis - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson
Misty is a jazz standard written by Erroll Garner following a 32-bar progression in the key of Eb including some common chord sequences as II-V-I, I-VI-II-V. A very popular ballad that has crossed over genres of music for the past 50 years (1959). This post in analysis of this song reffering to the realbook including a youtube video lesson about a chord melody arrangement for jazz guitar.
Quick analysis of Misty (real book)
There are two sections. Here is the chord progression and a quick analysis reffering to the real book :
Ebmaj7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | Ab-7 Db7 |
Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 || 1st ending G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 :|| 2nd ending Eb6 | % |
- Pick up measure: Bb13 = V of home key (Eb major).
- Bar 1: Ebmaj7 (Tonic Eb).
- Bars 2 & 3 : Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | This is a II-V-I in the key of AbMaj7.
- Bar 4 : Ab-7 Db7 . This is a II-V in the key of Gb but the resolution doesn't go to Gb as it theoretically should.
- Bars 5 & 6 : Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 is a I VI II V sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 7 & 8 (first ending) : G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 . This is a III-VI7-II-V7 sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 9 to 14 : Same as bars 1 to 6.
- Bar 15 & 16 (second ending) : Eb6.Home key
Section B (Ab Major New Tonality, Eb modulating to Ab)
Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % |
A-7 | D7 F7 | G-7b5 C7b9 | F-7 Bb7
- Bars 17,18,19 & 20 : Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % | II V I sequence in the key of Ab.
- Bars 21 & 22 : A-7 | D7 F7 | ....Am7 is the bii of Ab. You can consider it as a II-V sequence in the key of G that goes to the V7 of Ab.
- Bar 23 : G-7b5 C7b9 ...minor II-V in the key of Fmin.
- Bar 24 : F-7 Bb7... major II-V of original tonic key (Eb).
Bars 25 to 32 : same as the second part of the A section.
Here is a printable PDF eBook with five guitar studies that will help you to master arpeggios over a jazz blues progression. Tabs and standard notation.
Printable PDF eBook method containing 50 exercises with tabs & standard notation to practice the essential jazz guitar chords over the II-V-I progression.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, standard notation analysis & audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
jazz Misty Misty Erroll Garner chord melody lesson chord melody arrangement misty guitar chord melody misty guitar lesson misty guitar arrangement chord melody jazz arrangement standard jazz standard misty analysis jazz analysis