Minor Pentatonic Scales Over II-Valt-I Sequence - 5 Jazz Guitar Licks
- By Stef Ramin
- On 17/05/2017
- 0 comments
In this lesson we will see how to use the minor pentatonic scale over a II-Valt-I sequence. The principle is simple, it consists in playing three minor pentatonic scales spaced apart of 1 semitone one from the other. This way you will bring out interesting colors to your jazz lines.
- II chord: Play the minor pentatonic scale starting on the 5th degree of the II chord. This way you will highlight the fifth (5), the minor seventh (b7), the root (R), the ninth (9) and the eleventh (11) of the minor II chord. (Exemple for Cm7 play G- pentatonic).
- V chord : Play the minor pentatonic scale up a half step starting on the #9 of the V7alt chord (Ab-pentatonic over F7alt for example). Therefore, you will play the main altered tones of the V7alt namely #9, #11, b13, b7, b9.
- I chord : Play the minor pentatonic up a half step again starting on the 7th of the I maj7#11 (Example with A minor penta for Bbmaj7#11). Thus, giving the 7, 9, 3, #11 and the thirteenth of the I chord.
II-Valt-I sequence and pentatonic scales
Let's take a Bb major II-Valt-I sequence. We have two chords : Cm7 (II), F7 (V) and Bbmaj7(I).
- We will be playing a G minor pentatonic scale over Cm7 (II). G is the Vth degree of Cm7. As you can see in the chart below, playing Gm penta over Cm7 will bring two interesting tones, the ninth (9) and the eleventh (11).
|Interval names against Cm7||5||b7||R||9||11|
- On the V chord (F7), we will be playing play another minor pentatonic scale a semitone up the previous pentatonic (Gm). Then, we will be playing play Abm penta for F7. It will bring tension because of the altered tones #9, #11, b13, b7, b9.
|Interval names against F7||#9||#11||b13||b7||b9|
- On the I chord (Bbmaj7), we will be playing the third minor pentatonic scale which, is a semitone up the previous (Ab) and logically two semitones up the first (Gm). So, we will be playing Am pentatonic scale over Bbmaj7 in order to get the 7, 9, 3, #11 and 13th of the I chord.
|Interval names against Bbmaj7||7||9||3||#11||13|
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 1
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 2
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 3
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 4
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 5
This downloadable eBook in PDF format provides 49 jazz solo transcriptions of the greatest jazz musicians of all times with TABS, standard notation and analysis both for guitar teachers and students.
This jazz guitar method is an eBook available as a PDF with standard notation, guitar tabs, diagrams, analysis, audio files and backing tracks. You will find in this booklet 25 easy jazz guitar lines with theory using common and rare pentatonic scales.
This method is a printable PDF eBook containing 20 II-V-I jazz guitar lines with tabs and audio files both in major and minor keys
A printable PDF eBook with tabs and standard notation containing five jazz blues guitar studies. Learn how to use arpeggios over a jazz blues progression.
Jazz guitar comping. How to play II-V-I chord progressions on guitar with drop 2, drop 3 chords, rootless and inverted voicings. This method is a printable PDF eBook containing 50 exercises with analysis, tabs & standard notation.
This PDF method contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, standard notation, analysis & audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to master, apply and develop the altered scale.
This printable method is available as a PDF file containing 40 easy dominant jazz-blues guitar lines with tabs, standard notation, analysis and scale charts.
You will find here an eBook available in PDF containing 25 soul jazz and hard bop guitar licks with tabs and standard notation in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, George Benson.These jazz lines come with tabs, standard notation, guitar neck diagrams, backing track for practice and 25 audio files for each riff.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook