- Home /
- Jazz guitar lessons / Blog /
- Pat Martino jazz guitar solo transcription with tabs on sunny (4 measures)
Pat Martino jazz guitar solo transcription with tabs on sunny (4 measures)
- By jazz-guitar-licks
- On 11/11/2016
- Comments (0)
A new lesson has been recently published on the website. It's about 4 measures of the great Pat Martino's guitar improvisation on Sunny (Bobby Hebb), taken from the Umbria jazz live version with John Scofield. Sunny is a great tune to jam over; Pat Martino's solo ranks among his best. Repeating a short phrase like this is characteristic of Martino's approach to soloing. It creates structure and is a great way to create intensity and build energy.
- Measure 1: Pat Martino plays notes from the A Dorian mode, specifically an A minor triad. It is good to remember that a minor triad is made up of a root (1), a minor third (b3) and a perfect fifth (5).
- Measure 2, he plays notes from the G aeolian mode, characterised by the presence of Eb which is the minor sixth of this mode. Notice that the difference between the dorian and the aeolian mode is that the sixth is major in the dorian mode and minor in the aeolian mode. These two modes can be applied to any minor chords.
- Measure 3, you will notice an A minor seventh arpeggio over FM7. Minor seventh arpeggios are built with the first (1), the minor third (b3), the fifth (5) and the minor seventh (b7).
- Measure 4 (II-V), there are notes from the B locrian mode with an approached tone, the #9 (Eb).
FREE FULL COURSE HERE including youtube videos and other ideas to improvise on Sunny.
This printable PDF eBook method contains 50 exercises to practice the essential jazz guitar chords over the II-V-I progression.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
- Jazz guitar chord voicings - II-V-I progression - 5 Exercises
- New eBook available | 50 exercises for jazz guitar | II-V-I voicings
- Minor pentatonic scales and II-Valt-I sequence - 5 jazz guitar licks
- New video - Jazz guitar comping rhythm lesson & chord study.
- Sookie sookie - Grant Green - Transcription
- III VI II V sequence - 5 Jazz guitar licks - Jazz lesson
- Jazz up basic guitar chords - Jazz guitar lesson for beginners
- Tritone chord substitution - Jazz guitar lesson
- Stella by Starlight - Jazz guitar chord melody lesson
- What's a half-diminished chord (m7b5) ?
- List of intervals - Music theory
- Extended major 7th chords | Guitar diagrams & voicings | Cmaj9, Cmaj#11, Cmaj13
- Diatonic chord substitution - Jazz theory and harmony lesson
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression