Wes Montgomery guitar solo transcription | Phrygian lick
- By jazz-guitar-licks
- On 29/11/2015
- Comments (0)
Wes Montgomery was an american guitar jazz player, considered as one of the greatest jazz guitarist of all time.
In this jazz guitar lesson we will see how Wes Montgomery played a guitar lick using notes from the G phrygian mode (minor type scale) over a Bb dominant seventh chord. This lick is a short part of the "West coast blues" guitar solo improvisation . Once you have learned this jazz line it's important to play it in different keys and to make it evolve by adding notes and fret-hand techniques.
In this lick Wes Montgomery plays notes from the G phrygian mode, the G phrygian mode is built with the following notes : G-Ab-Bb-C-D-Eb-F respectively 1-b2-b3-4-5-b6-b7.
The phrygian mode is a minor type scale because of its minor third. The main characteristic of this mode is the presence of a minor second (b2). It is usually played over minor chords.
This mode has the same notes as the Bb mixolydian scale : Bb-C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab respectively 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7.
In this harmonic context it's better to consider this jazz line as the mixolydian mode starting on the sixth (G) but it's a good opportunity to take a look at the phrygian scale.
You can visit the following link to get more Wes Montgomery guitar transcriptions.
You can also subscribe to the jazz guitar licks youtube channel.
This printable PDF eBook method contains 50 exercises to practice the essential jazz guitar chords over the II-V-I progression.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
This free jazz guitar lesson is about 10 Wes Montgomery dominant 7th jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs taken from west coast blues.
In this lesson we see how to play aeolian, dorian and minor arpeggios over minor chords in the style of the great Charlie Christian. Guitar lesson w/tabs.
25 soul jazz guitar licks with tabs PDF to master hard bop playing in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks by using pentatonic scales and blues scale.
This youtube video contains 21 jazz guitar licks and transcriptions with tabs from the "jazz guitar licks" channel.
This jazz guitar lesson is about a video that contains 10 Kenny Burrell jazz guitar licks for beginners transcribed from chitlins con carne.
- New eBook available | 50 exercises for jazz guitar | II-V-I voicings
- Minor pentatonic scales and II-Valt-I sequence - 5 jazz guitar licks
- New video - Jazz guitar comping rhythm lesson & chord study.
- Sookie sookie - Grant Green - Transcription
- III VI II V sequence - 5 Jazz guitar licks - Jazz lesson
- Jazz up basic guitar chords - Jazz guitar lesson for beginners
- Tritone chord substitution - Jazz guitar lesson
- Stella by Starlight - Jazz guitar chord melody lesson
- What's a half-diminished chord (m7b5) ?
- List of intervals - Music theory
- Extended major 7th chords | Guitar diagrams & voicings | Cmaj9, Cmaj#11, Cmaj13
- Diatonic chord substitution - Jazz theory and harmony lesson
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression
- NEW PDF eBook available | 11 blues-jazz progressions for guitar | Chords and comping studies