Wes Montgomery solo transcription | Full house part 2
This is the second part (8 bars) of the Wes Montgomery guitar solo transcription in "Full house".
The chord progression is :
Bbm7 | Eb7 |AbM7 | Db7
GbM7 | BM7 | Gm7b5 | C7alt
The first thing we see is a major II-V-I chord progression (Bbm7 | Eb7 |AbM7) on bars 1 & 2, a V | I sequence (Db7 & GbM7 bars 5 & 6) and a minor II-V-I progression (Gm7b5 | C7alt | Fm7) at the end on bars 8,9 & 10.
- Wes has played a Bbm7 arpeggio (Bb-Db-F-Ab) over the Bbm7 chord. Playing a minor seventh arpeggio (m7) over a minor seventh chord (m7) is the basic thing to know for a jazz guitar player.
- On the Eb7 he has played a diminished line using notes from the Db diminished seventh arpeggio (Db-E-G-Bb).
Let's take a look at the difference between the notes of the Eb7 chord and the Db7 diminished seven arpeggio.
|Db7 diminished arpeggio||Db||E||G||Bb|
We can see :
The fifth of Eb7 (Bb) is the same as the bb7 of the Db7 diminished arpeggio .
The minor seventh of Eb7 (Db) is the same as the root of the Db7 diminished arpeggio.
The major third of the Eb7 chord (G) is the same as the fifth of the Db7 diminished chord.
The minor third of the Db7 diminished arpeggio (E) is the b9 of the Eb7 chord.
Playing a Db7 arpeggio over a Eb7 chord provides a b9 .
- On the AbM7 Wes Montgomery plays a descending E diminished triad (E-G-Bb) (last three notes of the bar 4). The E over the AbM7 provides a #5 sound.
The next chord progression is a V | I sequence (Db7 | GbM7)
- Wes Montgomery plays a Bb descending phrygian scale (Bb-Cb-Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab) over the Db7 chord.
- Notes from the Gb major scale, Db, Eb, F and Gb respectively the fifth, the sixth, the seventh and the root of this scale over the GbM7 chord.
- On the BM7 and the Gmb5 chords Wes Montgomery plays notes from the B phrygian scale (B-C#-D#-E#-F#-G#-A#).
- Altered line over the C7alt chord.
Please note that the fingering is suggested. Once you have learnt these lines, you have to try to develop them by changing notes, adding fretting-hand effects (Hammer-ons, pull-offs, bends, slides, vibratos) and many more.
This PDF eBook contains 11 guitar lessons with chords, tabs, analysis , explanations and audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to learn to master the altered scale.
40 easy jazz, blues guitar licks with tabs & scale charts. Printable PDF & eBook method to learn to play in the style of Wes Montgomery & Charlie Christian.
This PDF eBook is about 25 soul jazz guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks. Lessons with tabs, diagrams, backing track & audio files.
This printable PDF book will help you to understand which scales should be played over a minor II-V-I sequence. Jazz guitar lesson with tabs & audio.
This jazz guitar eBook pdf contains 10 II-V-I jazz guitar licks with tabs, backing tracks, scales charts. Dorian, mixolydian, bebop and altered scales.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished 7th arpeggios.
This printable PDF eBook contains 25 minor jazz guitar licks with tabs, video links, analysis. How to play modes, scales & arpeggios over minor chords.
The tritone substitution is explained through 5 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links and backing track links. Printable PDF eBook
Last edited: 06/03/2017