In this free jazz guitar lesson below you will find 5 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns with tabs and analysis using the half-whole diminished scale and some diminished seventh arpeggios. These licks are taken from the latest printable eBook PDF "25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns".
The Half-whole diminished scale (also known as "dominant diminished scale") is a symmetric scale, it contains eight notes and it's constructed using a repeat pattern of half and whole steps. This scale is usually played over dominant chords like G7, G7b5, G13, G7#9, G7b9, G7b5b9, G7b5#9). This should not be confused with the fully diminished scale also named "whole-half diminished scale" which is constructed using a repeat pattern of whole and half steps and used to play over diminished seventh chords.
As you can see in the example below, the G half-whole diminished scale is made up of eight notes and creates extentions b9, #9, #11 and 13.
Diminished seventh arpeggios are made up of four notes : a root, a minor third (b3), a diminished fifth (b5) and a diminished seventh (bb7). They are basically played over diminished seventh chords but they can be played over dominant (b9) chords a semitone lower.
Here is a comparison between the G7b9 chord and the Ab diminished 7th arpeggio :
- G7b9 chord is made up of : G-B-D-F-Ab
- Ab diminished 7th arpeggio is made up of : Ab-B-D-F
The notes of a diminished arpeggio are identical to the notes of a dominant b9 chord a semitone lower.
A diminished 7th arpeggio is built of minor thirds intervals, it is symmetrical. A minor third interval is made up of 3 semitones (3 frets on a guitar), so you can move any diminished 7th arpeggios positions up or down three frets and you will still find the same notes.
It means that you can play 4 diminished 7th arpeggios over a G7b9 chord :
- Ab diminished 7th arpeggio.
- B diminished 7th arpeggio.
- D diminished 7th arpeggio.
- F diminished 7th arpeggio.
- Jazz guitar chord voicings - II-V-I progression - 5 Exercises
- New eBook available | 50 exercises for jazz guitar | II-V-I voicings
- Minor pentatonic scales and II-Valt-I sequence - 5 jazz guitar licks
- New video - Jazz guitar comping rhythm lesson & chord study.
- Sookie sookie - Grant Green - Transcription
- III VI II V sequence - 5 Jazz guitar licks - Jazz lesson
- Jazz up basic guitar chords - Jazz guitar lesson for beginners
- Tritone chord substitution - Jazz guitar lesson
- Stella by Starlight - Jazz guitar chord melody lesson
- What's a half-diminished chord (m7b5) ?
- List of intervals - Music theory
- Extended major 7th chords | Guitar diagrams & voicings | Cmaj9, Cmaj#11, Cmaj13
- Diatonic chord substitution - Jazz theory and harmony lesson
- 5 tritone substitution jazz guitar licks PDF ebook - Pay what you want
- Guitar walking bass lesson and improvisation with tabs | Bb blues jazz progression