Modes of the Harmonic Minor Scale
What are the Seven Modes of the Harmonic Minor Scale
Modes of a scale are constructed by moving the tonic on the different degrees of this scale. Here are the seven modes of the harmonic minor scale :
- Harmonic minor mode I : Harmonic minor scale (minor). It is the most used of the seven modes.The formula is 1- 2 - b3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - 7.
- Harmonic minor mode II : Locrian Natural 6, Locrian 13 or Locrian 6 (half-diminished). Formula is 1 - b2 - b3 - 4 - b5 - 6 - b7.
- Harmonic minor mode III : Ionian #5 (augmented). Formula is 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - #5 - 6 - 7.
- Harmonic minor mode IV : Dorian #11 (or Dorian #4, Romanian minor) (minor). Formula is 1 - 2 - b3 - #4 - 5 - 6 - b7.
- Harmonic minor mode V : Phrygian dominant (dominant). Formula is 1 - b2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - b6 - b7.
- Harmonic minor mode VI : Lydian #2 (major). Formula is 1 - #2 - 3 - #4 - 5 - 6 -7 .
- Harmonic minor mode VII. Super locrian bb7 (diminished). Formula is 1 - b2 - b3 - b4 - b5 - b6 - bb7
By following the links below, you will learn how to play the seven modes taken from the harmonic scale. Each page includes scale shapes, formula charts, guitar tabs and several exercises for a better understanding of this minor scale.
This jazz guitar lesson explains how to play the harmonic minor scale on guitar and provides some guitar diagrams, scale charts and jazz guitar licks to master it.
This guitar lesson show you how to build and how to play the Locrian natural 6 mode aka Locrian #6 mode, the second mode of the harmonic minor scale. You will find on this page some guitar diagrams and scale charts to play it on guitar.
This guitar lesson will help you understand the Ionian #5 mode using guitar neck diagrams and scale charts.
This guitar lesson with diagrams and scale charts explain how the Dorian #4 mode is built and how to play it on the guitar .
The Phrygian Dominant Scale (Phrygian Major, Mixolydian b2 b6, Harmonic Major Inverse) - Guitar Shapes and FormulasThis lesson with diagrams and charts show you how is built the Phrygian dominant mode aka Mixolydian b2 b6, and how to play it on the guitar.
This jazz guitar lesson provides neck diagrams and charts about the Lydian #2 scale aka Aeolian Harmonic, the sixth mode of the harmonic minor scale.
The Super Locrian bb7 Scale (Super Locrian Diminished, Diminished Locrian, Ultra Locrian) - Lesson with Guitar DiagramsThis jazz guitar lesson provides some guitar shapes, diagrams and scale charts to learn how to play the Super Locrian mode on your guitar.