There is no unique blues scale, but several combinations of notes which have a blues sound. These three blue notes are :
- b5 / #11
We can classify the blues scales this way :
Hexatonic scales or six-notes blues scales.
- The minor blues scale is the minor pentatonic scale (1-b3-4-5-b7) including a flat ninth (b5). This is the most widely used of the blues scales. It is built with a root (1), a minor third (b3) also considered as flat eleventh (b10) or sharp ninth (#9), a fourth (4 or 11), a flat fifth (b5 or #11) which is the blue note and a minor seventh (b7).
- The minor blues scale with a major 3rd. (1-b3-3-4-5-b7)
- The minor blues scale with a seventh. (1-b3-4-5-b7-7) or (1-b3-4-b5-5-7)
- The voodoo blues scale (1-b3-4-b5-5-6).
- The major blues scale is the major pentatonic scale (1-2-3-5-6) with an added b3 also named b10. It consists of a root (1), a second (2), a minor third, the blue note (b3 or b10), a major third (3), a perfect fifth and a major sixth (6).
These previous blues scales are the most played in jazz and blues music.
This composite blues scale consists of eight notes, including the three blue notes. Formula is 1-b10-3-11-b5-5-b7-7.
The composite blues scale or Mixolydian blues scale or mixo blues scale is built with nine notes. As its name implies, it is a mix of the minor blues scale (1-b3-4-b5-5-b7) and the Mixolydian mode 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7 (or the major pentatonic scale). This scale combines major & minor pentatonic sounds, here is the formula : 1-2 (9)-b10 (or #9)-3-11(4)-b5(#11)-5-13(6)-b7.
This jazz guitar lesson with diagrams is about the minor blues scale with a flat fifth (b5). This is simply a common pentatonic scale with a b5 added. It's a great scale to learn because it spices up the minor pentatonic.
Minor blues scales are hexatonic scales divided into three groups.The first group includes a supplementary major third, the second a flat fifth and the third group, a major seventh.
This lesson explains what are the two main forms of minor blue scales with a major 7 and how to play them on the guitar neck.
This lesson with theory and diagrams is about the major blues scale. How it is built, how to play it on guitar.
This jazz lesson with diagrams and scale charts is about the mixo-blues scale also called Mixolydian blues scale or hybrid blues scale. You will learn how to build it and how to play it on guitar.
The voodoo blues scale is a variation of the minor blues scale. Guitar lesson with diagrams and tables.