Misty - Arrangement with chords & melody - Jazz guitar lesson
Misty is a jazz standard written by Erroll Garner following a 32-bar progression in the key of Eb including some common chord sequences as II-V-I, I-VI-II-V. A very popular ballad that has crossed over genres of music for the past 50 years (1959). This post in analysis of this song reffering to the realbook including a youtube video lesson about a chord melody arrangement for jazz guitar.
Quick analysis of Misty (real book)
There are two sections. Here is the chord progression and a quick analysis referring to the real book :
Ebmaj7 | Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | Ab-7 Db7 |
Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 || 1st ending G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 :|| 2nd ending Eb6 | % |
- Pick up measure: Bb13 = V of home key (Eb major).
- Bar 1: Ebmaj7 (Tonic Eb).
- Bars 2 & 3 : Bb-7 Eb7 | Abmaj7 | This is a II-V-I in the key of AbMaj7.
- Bar 4 : Ab-7 Db7 . This is a II-V in the key of Gb but the resolution doesn't go to Gb as it theoretically should.
- Bars 5 & 6 : Ebmaj7 C-7 | F-7 Bb7 is a I VI II V sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 7 & 8 (first ending) : G-7 C7 | F-7 Bb7 . This is a III-VI7-II-V7 sequence in the key of Eb.
- Bars 9 to 14 : Same as bars 1 to 6.
- Bar 15 & 16 (second ending) : Eb6.Home key
Section B (Ab Major New Tonality, Eb modulating to Ab)
Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % |
A-7 | D7 F7 | G-7b5 C7b9 | F-7 Bb7
- Bars 17,18,19 & 20 : Bb-7 | Eb7 | Abmaj7 | % | II V I sequence in the key of Ab.
- Bars 21 & 22 : A-7 | D7 F7 | ....Am7 is the bii of Ab. You can consider it as a II-V sequence in the key of G that goes to the V7 of Ab.
- Bar 23 : G-7b5 C7b9 ...minor II-V in the key of Fmin.
- Bar 24 : F-7 Bb7... major II-V of original tonic key (Eb).
Bars 25 to 32 : same as the second part of the A section.
This printable PDF eBook provides 101 dominant arpeggio exercises with tab, theory and standard notation for the jazz, blues and rock guitarist.
Printable PDF eBook containing 40 major jazz guitar licks with tab, standard notation and audio files for beginners and intermediates.
This downloadable eBook in PDF format provides 49 jazz solo transcriptions of the greatest jazz musicians of all times with TABS, standard notation and analysis both for guitar teachers and students.
This jazz guitar method is an eBook available as a PDF with standard notation, guitar tabs, diagrams, analysis, audio files and backing tracks. You will find in this booklet 25 easy jazz guitar lines with theory using common and rare pentatonic scales.
This method is a printable PDF eBook containing 20 II-V-I jazz guitar lines with tabs and audio files both in major and minor keys
Jazz guitar comping. How to play II-V-I chord progressions on guitar with drop 2, drop 3 chords, rootless and inverted voicings. This method is a printable PDF eBook containing 50 exercises with analysis, tabs & standard notation.
This PDF method contains 11 guitar lessons with chord studies, tabs, standard notation, analysis & audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to master, apply and develop the altered scale.
This printable method is available as a PDF file containing 40 easy dominant jazz-blues guitar lines with tabs, standard notation, analysis and scale charts.
You will find here an eBook available in PDF containing 25 soul jazz and hard bop guitar licks with tabs and standard notation in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, George Benson.These jazz lines come with tabs, standard notation, guitar neck diagrams, backing track for practice and 25 audio files for each riff.
This eBook PDF contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and diminished 7th arpeggios.
The tritone substitution is explained through 6 jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video links. Printable PDF eBook.
This printable PDF eBook file contains 5 jazz blues studies using only arpeggios.