The 11 Best Amps For Jazz Guitarists
When it comes to playing jazz guitar, having the right amplifier can make a world of difference in achieving that smooth, warm, and articulate tone.
Jazz music demands clarity, dynamics, and a touch of elegance, and a great amplifier can bring out the best in your playing.
In this article, we present the 11 best jazz guitar amps that are renowned for their exceptional sound quality, versatility, and suitability for jazz guitarists.
The Fender Deluxe Reverb is a classic tube amp known for its lush reverb and sweet, responsive tone. Its 22-watt output provides the perfect balance between power and portability, making it a popular choice among jazz guitarists.
1. Classic tube tone
2. Built-in reverb and vibrato effects
3. Versatile controls
4. Suitable for gigging and recording
1. Limited headroom
2. Relatively heavy
3. Higher volume required for tube overdrive
4. Higher price point
It's important to note that the pros and cons listed above are subjective and may vary based on individual preferences and playing styles. It's always recommended to try out the amp yourself and see how it suits your specific needs before making a purchase decision.
The Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus has been a staple in the jazz community for decades.
Its iconic clean tone, stereo chorus, and crystal-clear sound make it a go-to amp for jazz guitarists seeking a modern and versatile sound.
1. Clean and transparent tone
2. Stereo chorus effect
3. Versatile controls for shaping your sound
4. Excellent for achieving modern and clean jazz tones
1. Lack of tube-driven warmth and natural overdrive
2. Heavier and bulkier compared to some other amplifiers
3. Less suitable for players seeking traditional, vintage jazz tones
4. Higher price point compared to some alternatives
Compact yet powerful, Henriksen's The Bud is designed specifically for jazz guitarists.
With its warm and rich tone, it delivers remarkable clarity and dynamic range, making it ideal for both small venues and studio recording.
1. Warm and rich tone specifically designed for jazz guitarists
2. Compact and lightweight for easy portability
3. Exceptional tonal clarity and dynamic range
4. Ideal for small venues and studio recording
1. Limited power output for larger venues or louder bands
2. May not offer as much versatility in terms of tone shaping compared to larger amps
3. Price may be higher compared to some other compact jazz amps
4. Not suitable for players seeking heavier or overdriven tones
The Polytone Mini Brute IV is a highly regarded solid-state amp renowned for its clean, transparent sound.
It produces a warm and balanced tone, making it an excellent choice for jazz guitarists who prioritize sonic purity.
1. Clean and transparent sound with excellent clarity
2. Lightweight and compact design for easy portability
3. Warm and balanced tone ideal for jazz guitarists
4. Renowned for its sonic purity and natural amplification
1. Limited tonal shaping options compared to more versatile amps
2. May lack the power needed for larger venues or louder performances
3. Higher price point compared to some other compact amp options
4. Not suitable for players seeking heavy distortion or high-gain tones
The Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special is a versatile amp that excels in jazz and blues genres.
Its two channels offer a wide range of tonal options, and its expressive dynamics allow players to capture the nuances of jazz guitar effortlessly.
1. Versatile amp suitable for jazz and blues genres
2. Two channels offer a wide range of tonal options
3. Expressive dynamics allow for capturing the nuances of jazz guitar
4. High-quality build and craftsmanship
1. Relatively heavy and less portable compared to some other amps
2. May be more expensive compared to some other options
3. The complexity of controls and features may be overwhelming for some players
The DV Mark Little Jazz is a compact and lightweight amplifier that packs a punch.
Despite its small size, it delivers a warm and vintage jazz tone, making it an excellent option for jazz guitarists on the go.
1. Compact and lightweight design, ideal for travel and small gigs
2. Warm and vintage jazz tone with excellent clarity
3. Versatile controls for shaping your sound
4. Offers a good balance of power and portability
1. Lower wattage may limit its usability in larger venues or louder bands
2. May lack the same depth and complexity of tone as larger amps
3. Limited built-in effects or features compared to some other amps
4. May not provide the same level of headroom or clean volume as higher-powered amps
The ZT Lunchbox is a compact and lightweight guitar amplifier that packs a punch.
It delivers surprising power and a clean, transparent tone. With versatile controls and built-in effects, it offers a convenient and portable solution for jazz guitarists on the go.
1. Ultra-compact and lightweight design for maximum portability
2. Surprisingly loud and powerful for its small size
3. Clean and transparent tone suitable for jazz guitar
4. Versatile controls and built-in effects for shaping your sound
1. May lack the same depth and complexity of tone as larger amps
2. Limited headroom for playing in louder bands or larger venues
3. May not offer the same level of tonal customization as more feature-rich amps
4. The smaller speaker size may not provide the same fullness and low-end response as larger cabinets
The Henriksen Jazz Amp 110 is a remarkable amplifier designed to meet the specific needs of jazz guitarists.
With its compact and portable design, it offers incredible power and versatility in a small package.
The amp's 110-watt output ensures more than enough volume for intimate gigs and small to medium-sized venues.
1. Compact and lightweight design for easy portability
2. 110-watt power output provides ample volume for small to medium-sized venues
3. Warm and rich jazz tone with exceptional clarity and projection
4. Intuitive controls for easy tone shaping and customization
5. Sturdy construction ensures durability and reliability
6. Designed specifically for the needs of jazz guitarists
1. May not have enough power for larger venues or louder band situations
2. Limited built-in effects or additional features compared to some other amps
3. Higher price point compared to some alternative options
4. May not offer as much tonal versatility as larger, more feature-rich amps
5. Limited availability in some regions, making it harder to find for some players
The Princeton Reverb is a classic guitar amplifier known for its iconic vintage tone and compact design.
Originally introduced by Fender in the 1960s, it has become a popular choice among guitarists seeking rich, warm, and responsive tube-driven sound.
1. Vintage tube-driven tone with rich warmth and responsiveness.
2. Versatile controls for dialing in a range of tones.
3. Compact and portable design for easy transportation.
4. Built-in reverb and tremolo effects for added depth and texture.
1. Limited headroom for larger venues or louder band settings.
2. Single-channel design may require external pedals for additional tonal options.
3. Higher price point compared to some other amplifiers.
4. May not offer the same level of tonal customization as more feature-rich amps.
The Quilter Aviator Gold is a solid-state amp that emulates the characteristics of classic tube amps.
Its lightweight design, superb tonal accuracy, and versatility make it a top choice for jazz guitarists who value both convenience and premium sound.
1. Solid-state amp that emulates the characteristics of classic tube amps
2. Lightweight and portable design for easy transportation
3. Superb tonal accuracy and versatility for jazz guitarists
4. Offers convenience and premium sound quality
1. May not provide the same warmth and natural tube-driven tones as actual tube amps
2. Limited customization options compared to some other amps
3. Higher price point compared to some other solid-state amp options
4. Some players may prefer the feel and response of traditional tube amps
The Vox AC30 is an iconic amplifier that has found its place in various music genres, including jazz.
With its distinctive chime and warm breakup, it offers a unique vintage character that can enhance the jazz guitar experience.
1. Iconic amplifier known for its distinctive chime and vintage character
2. Warm breakup and overdriven tones that can enhance jazz guitar playing
3. Versatile controls for tone shaping and flexibility
4. Suitable for various music genres, including jazz
1. Relatively heavy and less portable compared to some other amp options
2. May require higher volume levels to achieve desired tube saturation
3. Limited built-in effects compared to more modern amp models
4. Higher price point compared to some other amplifiers
Choosing the right jazz guitar amp is essential for achieving the perfect tone and expressing your musicality as a jazz guitarist.
Whether you prefer the warm vintage sound of a tube amp or the clean and transparent tones of solid-state options, the 11 amps mentioned above provide excellent options for any jazz guitarist seeking to elevate their sound.
Remember, the perfect amp is a personal choice that suits your playing style and tonal preferences, so try out different options and let your ears guide you towards the amp that brings out the best in your jazz guitar playing.
This downloadable package contains a PDF WITH audio files giving access to 30 groovy guitar phrases mixing jazz, blues and funky licks for beginners.
This E-book is a printable PDF method including over 700 scale diagrams and formula charts for guitarists.
This PDF eBook provides over 550 guitar chord shapes. This is the perfect reference guide to understand how chords are built and how to play them on the guitar neck.
This printable PDF is a method dedicated to guitarists of all styles who want to learn the most important types of arpeggios.
This handbook for guitar players is intended both for teachers and students. It includes 126 guitar shapes for mastering triads.
This package includes a printable PDF method containing 30 exercises with tabs, staves and audio files for practicing minor arpeggios on guitar.
This bundle contains 4 PDF methods for a total of 170 exercises with tabs, staves, analysis & audio files for practicing scales, arpeggios licks & chords over the 2-5-1 progression.
This package contains 120 jazz guitar lines based on diatonic modes as Mixolydian, Dorian and Ionian. PDF format with tabs, audio files and analysis.
In this package you'll get a printable PDF Method with tabs, notation, analysis, scale shapes and audio files for practicing 30 smooth jazz guitar licks.
This pdf method for guitar contains fourteen 2 5 1 jazz guitar lines with tab, standard notation, analysis, scale charts and audio files.
This printable PDF guitar method provides 50 exercises with audio files, analysis, tab and staves for learning major 2-5-1 chord voicings.
This PDF method contains 40 exercices with tabs, scores and audio files for practicing jazz guitar chords over the minor 2 5 1 progression.
This guitar method is a printable PDF with tabs, diagrams, theory and audio files providing 40 minor 2 5 1 jazz patterns.
PDF guitar method with tabs, audio files and theory providing 40 dominant jazz guitar lines for teachers and students.
This printable guitar method in PDF format contains 40 easy minor jazz guitar lines based on the Dorian mode.
Printable PDF eBook method containing 40 major jazz guitar licks with tab, standard notation and audio files for beginners and intermediates.
This jazz guitar method about walking bass lines and chords is available as a PDF files containing 35 exercises with tabs, analysis and audio files
This printable PDF method provides 101 dominant arpeggio exercises with tab, theory and standard notation for the jazz, blues and rock guitarist.
This printable eBook method in PDF format provides 49 jazz solo transcriptions of the greatest jazz musicians. Tab, standard notation, audio files & analysis.
11 jazz blues chord studies with tabs, standard notation, analysis, and audio recordings and PDF.
This PDF with Tabs and audio files provides 10 easy acoustic fingerstyle blues guitar studies for kids and beginners.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to master, apply and develop the altered scale.
This printable method is available as a PDF file containing 40 easy dominant jazz-blues guitar lines with tabs, standard notation, analysis, audio files and scale charts.
This jazz guitar method is an eBook available as a PDF with standard notation, guitar tabs, diagrams, analysis, audio files and backing tracks. You will find in this booklet 25 easy jazz guitar lines with theory using common and rare pentatonic scales.
You will find here an eBook available in PDF containing 25 soul jazz and hard bop guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, George Benson. These jazz lines come with tabs, standard notation, guitar neck diagrams, backing track for practice and 25 audio files for each riff.
This eBook PDF with audio files contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and diminished 7th arpeggios.
This Printable PDF eBook available for free download contains 6 easy jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video link and analysis about the tritone substitution.
This printable PDF eBook offers 10 easy minor 7 arpeggio patterns with its related YouTube video for beginner guitarists.
This is a printable PDF for beginner jazz guitar players providing 10 easy licks to practice major 7 arpeggios.
Within this package, you'll discover a set of ten chord melody exercises for beginners. Printable PDFaudio files, a backing track, and a link to the associated YouTube video.