Minor Pentatonic Scales Over II-Valt-I Sequence - 5 Jazz Guitar Licks
- By Stef Ramin
- On 05/17/2017
- 0 comments
In this lesson we will see how to use the minor pentatonic scale over a II-Valt-I sequence. The principle is simple, it consists in playing three minor pentatonic scales spaced apart of 1 semitone one from the other. This way you will bring out interesting colors to your jazz lines.
- II chord: Play the minor pentatonic scale starting on the 5th degree of the II chord. This way you will highlight the fifth (5), the minor seventh (b7), the root (R), the ninth (9) and the eleventh (11) of the minor II chord. (Exemple for Cm7 play G- pentatonic).
- V chord : Play the minor pentatonic scale up a half step starting on the #9 of the V7alt chord (Ab-pentatonic over F7alt for example). Therefore, you will play the main altered tones of the V7alt namely #9, #11, b13, b7, b9.
- I chord : Play the minor pentatonic up a half step again starting on the 7th of the I maj7#11 (Example with A minor penta for Bbmaj7#11). Thus, giving the 7, 9, 3, #11 and the thirteenth of the I chord.
II-Valt-I sequence and pentatonic scales
Let's take a Bb major II-Valt-I sequence. We have two chords : Cm7 (II), F7 (V) and Bbmaj7(I).
- We will be playing a G minor pentatonic scale over Cm7 (II). G is the Vth degree of Cm7. As you can see in the chart below, playing Gm penta over Cm7 will bring two interesting tones, the ninth (9) and the eleventh (11).
|Interval names against Cm7||5||b7||R||9||11|
- On the V chord (F7), we will be playing play another minor pentatonic scale a semitone up the previous pentatonic (Gm). Then, we will be playing play Abm penta for F7. It will bring tension because of the altered tones #9, #11, b13, b7, b9.
|Interval names against F7||#9||#11||b13||b7||b9|
- On the I chord (Bbmaj7), we will be playing the third minor pentatonic scale which, is a semitone up the previous (Ab) and logically two semitones up the first (Gm). So, we will be playing Am pentatonic scale over Bbmaj7 in order to get the 7, 9, 3, #11 and 13th of the I chord.
|Interval names against Bbmaj7||7||9||3||#11||13|
Minor pentatonic scales - II Valt I sequence - 5 jazz guitar licks
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 1
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 2
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 3
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 4
II-V-I sequence & minor pentatonic scale - Lick 5
This jazz guitar method about walking bass lines and chords is available as a PDF files containing 35 exercises with tabs, analysis and audio files
This package contains 120 jazz guitar lines based on diatonic modes as Mixolydian, Dorian and Ionian. PDF format with tabs, audio files and analysis.
This package contains a guitar method available as a PDF with tabs, audio files and theory providing 40 dominant jazz guitar lines for teachers and students.
This printable guitar method in PDF format contains 40 easy minor jazz guitar lines based on the Dorian mode.
Printable PDF eBook method containing 40 major jazz guitar licks with tab, standard notation and audio files for beginners and intermediates.
This pdf method for guitar contains 40 II V I jazz guitar lines with tab, standard notation, analysis, scale charts and audio files.
This printable PDF method provides 101 dominant arpeggio exercises with tab, theory and standard notation for the jazz, blues and rock guitarist.
This printable eBook method in PDF format provides 49 jazz solo transcriptions of the greatest jazz musicians of all times with TABS, standard notation, audio files and analysis both for guitar teachers and students.
This jazz guitar method is an eBook available as a PDF with standard notation, guitar tabs, diagrams, analysis, audio files and backing tracks. You will find in this booklet 25 easy jazz guitar lines with theory using common and rare pentatonic scales.
This guitar method is a printable PDF eBook contains 50 exercises with audio files, analysis, tab & standard notation on how to play over II-V-I chord progressions using different kind of voicings.
This PDF method contains 11 guitar lessons with chord studies, tabs, standard notation, analysis & audio files about the main blues progressions used in jazz music.
This PDF eBook method contains 25 altered jazz guitar licks with tabs, patterns, scale charts and audio files to master, apply and develop the altered scale.
This printable method is available as a PDF file containing 40 easy dominant jazz-blues guitar lines with tabs, standard notation, analysis, audio files and scale charts.
You will find here an eBook available in PDF containing 25 soul jazz and hard bop guitar licks in the style of Grant Green, Melvin Sparks, George Benson. These jazz lines come with tabs, standard notation, guitar neck diagrams, backing track for practice and 25 audio files for each riff.
This eBook PDF with audio files contains 25 dominant diminished jazz guitar patterns using the half-whole diminished scale and diminished 7th arpeggios.
This Printable PDF eBook available for free download contains 6 easy jazz guitar licks with tabs/notation, youtube video link and analysis about the tritone substitution.